- The resident should leave the apartment in a broom clean condition, removing all personal belongings and trash from the apartment, and making any minor repairs if needed. Please be sure to empty out all cabinets and closets. Please clean stove and empty and clean refrigerator/freezer.
- If the apartment was painted by the tenant, then the resident should restore it to the original colors.
- If you are moving out from a building with an elevator, protective elevator pads must be put up prior to the start of your move. Alert the Superintendent three to five days in advance so that he can take care of this for you.
- If you are using a professional moving company we must obtain a copy of their Certificate of Liability and Worker’s Compensation. Have the company contact Bell Realty directly and we will advise them as to the proper language to put on the certificates.
- A move out of the building should take place during normal business hours (9am to 5pm).
- If you are discarding personal belongings during the course of the move, you should make arrangements with the Superintendent seven to ten days in advance for any bulk items (non-recyclable items larger than 4×3 feet in size, i.e. sofas and wooden furniture) to be removed from the building. Arrange with the Superintendent on when and where to place these items so that we can arrange with pick up from DSNY. Bulk items per DSNY regulations can not be too heavy, meaning two men need to be able to pick it up to discard. Bell Realty will accommodate the discarding of two bulk items during a move out process but more than that, tenants may have to arrange for a private carting service. Please be respectful of the building, other tenants and the Superintendent when discarding belonging. Do not just dump all your discarded personal items for the Superintendent to clean up! Please be respectful!
- Be sure to give the apartment, building and mailbox keys to the Superintendent after you have moved out which signals that the apartment has been officially vacated. Also if applicable give the Superintendent your garage clicker and laundry card.
- No damage should be noted to the structure of building, public areas both interior and exterior including the elevator (if applicable) after the move has been completed or the security deposit, or a portion thereof, will be forfeited.
It is recommended and is a good practice to email us immediately after your move out to let us know you returned the keys and have officially vacated.