Prospective Resident FAQs
Yes. We require a written lease agreement on each of the properties that we manage. Our normal lease period is one year.
Yes. We require all our residents to pay the security deposit upon lease signing. In general, the security deposit will be equal to one month’s rent for a residential lease.
Yes. Each adult who intends to live in the rental property must complete and submit a rental application. The cost for processing the application is $25 per adult, with the exception of 58-12 Queens Blvd which is $50 per adult.
If we have an apartment available it will be listed on the availability page on our website. On that page will be the appropriate broker to contact to schedule a showing.
Ask the broker to email you an application after you have viewed the apartment and determined that you would like to proceed with the application process. Be ready to supply paystub information, bank statements, W2’s/1099’s, references, etc.
Applications generally take 24 to 48 hours to complete depending on the availability of your references. If you have not heard from us within 48 hours, please contact the broker.
Bell Realty takes a professional, friendly, detail-oriented approach to working with residents. We pride ourselves on our ability to deliver exceptional service to the residents of our properties. We are attentive to your concerns and work to ensure that you have the best experience possible. Here are some additional reasons to choose Bell Realty:
- Our broker will work with you to ensure that we find you the apartment that is the perfect fit for you.
- We use licensed insured professionals.
- We are available 24 hours a day to handle emergency maintenance repairs.
- We provide a detailed website which provides multiple resources and references.
- Our Electronically Signed Lease is designed to protect both the Landlord and the Resident so that expectations are clearly addressed before moving into the property.
- Tenants have instant access to their account information on our Tenant Web Portal (click the link Resident Login on our website for immediate access). The Web Portal provides:
- Access to important documents such as leases
- The ability to pay rent online with a check or credit card and even set up recurring monthly payments
- Electronically sign Lease Renewals
- Check your balance and your payment history
- All deposits that are retained by us are kept in a FDIC insured bank in a designated account.
When you submit a rental application you are allowing us to perform a background search. We are attempting to determine the likelihood of your paying the rent on time, and whether you will take proper care of the property and fulfill your lease obligations. The three main factors we consider are your credit report, landlord/mortgage history, and your employment and income verification.
Check out the availability page on our website.
Air Conditioner Installation Tips
The NYC Buildings has tips for pre-purchase guidelines, installation information, and permit requirements for AC units. If you need to reference such information, please download the document below. Please refer to your lease if you are allowed to install air conditioner units through the window.
Annual Required Form
New York City law requires that tenants living in buildings with 3 or more apartments complete this form and return it to their landlord before February 15, each year. If you do not return this form, your landlord is required to visit your apartment to determine if children live in your apartment.
Please download and print the form. This form needs to be returned to your landlord by the deadline.
Protect Your Child from Lead Poisoning and Window Falls
Heat Requirements and Procedures for Residential Rental Building
The period between October 1 and May 31 is Heat Season. During this time, the City requires building owners to provide residential tenants with heat according to the following rules: Day Between the hours of 6:00am and 10:00pm, if the outside temperature falls below 55 degrees, the inside temperature is required to be at least 68 degrees Fahrenheit. Night Between the hours of 10:00pm and 6:00am, the inside temperature is required to be at least 62 degrees Fahrenheit.
What should you do if these requirements are not being met?
- Make sure all windows are fully closed
- Ensure radiators are not being blocked with furniture or other items that prevent the heat from rising
- Air conditioning units should be pulled out of windows or sleeves
- Contact the Super to verify the above items, document the temperature in your apartment, and make any necessary adjustments
- Follow up with our office after the Super has inspected
Security Deposit Information
Do I need to pay a security deposit?
Virtually all leases require tenants to give their landlords a security deposit; usually one or two month’s rent.
Will it ever be adjusted if I renew the lease?
If a lease is renewed at a greater amount or the rent is increased during the term of the lease, the owner is permitted to collect additional money from the tenant in order to bring the security deposit up to the new monthly rent.
Do I earn interest on it?
Landlords are entitled to collect annual administrative expenses of one percent of the deposit. All other interest earned on the deposits belongs to the tenant, however, typically these interest-bearing accounts earn less than 1%.
What is the security deposit for?
A landlord may use the security deposit as reimbursement for any unpaid rent, or the reasonable cost of repairs beyond normal wear and tear if the tenant damages the apartment. Upon vacating, the tenant should leave the apartment in a clean condition, removing all personal belongings and trash from the apartment, and making any minor repairs if needed. If the apartment was painted by the tenant, then the tenant should restore to the original colors.