Heat Requirements and Procedures for Residential Rental Building
The period between October 1 and May 31 is Heat Season. During this time, the City requires building owners to provide residential tenants with heat according to the following rules: Day Between the hours of 6:00am and 10:00pm, if the outside temperature falls below 55 degrees, the inside temperature is required to be at least 68 degrees Fahrenheit. Night Between the hours of 10:00pm and 6:00am, the inside temperature is required to be at least 62 degrees Fahrenheit.
What should you do if these requirements are not being met?
- Make sure all windows are fully closed
- Ensure radiators are not being blocked with furniture or other items that prevent the heat from rising
- Air conditioning units should be pulled out of windows or sleeves
- Contact the Super to verify the above items, document the temperature in your apartment, and make any necessary adjustments
- Follow up with our office after the Super has inspected